Multidimensional Family Therapy is an intensive family and system-oriented workshop method created for staff working in child protection and hospital outpatient settings, whose professional activities bring them into contact with young people aged 12–19 with complex broad spectrum behavioural and substance misuse problems.
MDFT works best in challenging or crisis situations, where outpatient interventions have already been attempted and a residential placement is being considered. Instead of focusing on the individual, the process incorporates the young person’s entire family, including parents and other relevant parties and systems, such as school, friends and other authorities involved. Attempts are made to identify risk and protective factors on an individual, family and wider network level, and treatment is tailored to each young person’s individual circumstances.
Please note that this a summary of the full evaluation, which is currently only available in Finnish.
- Baldwin, S., Christian, S., Berkeljon, A. & Shadish, W. (2012). The effects of family therapies for adolescent delinquency and substance abuse: a meta-analysis. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 38, 281-304. Linkki viitteeseen
- Brofenbrenner, U. (1979). The Ecology of Human Development: Experiments by Nature and Design. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Massaschusetts.
- Ehrling, L. (2014). Multidimensional Family Therapy. Uusi työtapa nuorten monimuotoisiin ongelmiin. Kokemuksia MDFT:n mahdollisuuksista. Loppuraportti. Helsinki: Suomen Mielenterveysseura Linkki viitteeseen
- Filges, T., Andersen, D., Klint Jørgensen, A. (2015). Effects of Multidimensional Family Therapy (MDFT) on nonopioid drug abuse: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Research on Social Work Practice, 1-16. Linkki viitteeseen
- French, M.T., Roebuck, M.C.:, Dennis, M. (2002). The economic cost of outpatient marijuana treatment for adolescents: Findings from a multisite experiment. Addiction, 97, S84-87. Linkki viitteeseen
- Greenbaum, P. E., Wang, W., Henderson, C. E., Kan, L., Hall, K., Dakof, G. A., & Liddle, H. A. (2015). Gender and ethnicity as moderators: Integrative data analysis of Multidimensional Family Therapy randomized clinical trials. Journal of Family Psychology, 29, 919-30. Linkki viitteeseen
- Hendriks, V., van der Schee, E. & Blanken, P. (2011). Treatment of adolescents with a cannabis use disorder: Main findings of a randomized controlled trial comparing multidimensional family therapy and cognitive therapy in The Netherlands. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 119, 64-71. Linkki viitteeseen
- Hendriks,V., van der Schee, E. & Blanken, P. (2012). Matching adolescents with a cannabis use disorder to multidimensional family therapy or cognitive behavioral therapy: treatment effect moderators in a randomized controlled trial. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 125, 119-126. Linkki viitteeseen
- Liddle, H. A. (2010). Treating Adolescent Substance Abuse Using Multidimensional Family Therapy. Teoksessa J. Weisz & A. Kazdin (toim.) Evidence-based psychotherapies for children and adolescents (second edition). N.Y.: Guilford.
- Liddle, H.A., Rowe, C. L., Dakof, G.A., Ungaro, R.A., Henderson, C.C. (2004). Early intervention for adolescent substance abuse: Pretreatment to posttreatment outcomes of a randomized clinical trial comparing Multidimensional Family Therapy and peer group treatment. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 36, 11, 49-63. Linkki viitteeseen
- Liddle, H., Rowe, C., Dakof, G., Henderson, C. Greenbaum, P. (2009). Multidimensional family therapy for young adolescent substance abuse: twelve-month outcomes of a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 77, 12-25. Linkki viitteeseen
- Liddle, H., Dakof, G., Turner, R., Henderson, C., Greebaum, P. (2008). Treating adolescent drug abuse: a randomized trial comparing multidimensional family therapy and cognitive behavior therapy. Addiction, 103, 1660-70. Linkki viitteeseen
- Rigter, H., Henderson, C.E., Peld, I., Tossman, P., Phan, O., Hendriks, V., Schaub, M. & Rowe, C.L. (2012). Multidimensional family therapy lowers the rate of cannabis dependence in adolescents: A randomized controlled trial in Western European outpatient settings. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 130, 85-93. Linkki viitteeseen
- Rowe, C. (2010). Multidimensional Family Therapy: Addressing co-occurring substance abuse and other problems among adolescents with comprehensive family-based treatment. Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 19, 563-576. Linkki viitteeseen
- Schaub, M., Henderson, C., Pelc, I., Tossman, P., Phan, O., Hendris, V., Rowe, C. & Rigter, H. (2013). Multidimensional family therapy decreases the rate of externalising behavioural disorder symptoms in cannabis abusing adolescents: outcomes of the INCANT trial. BMC Psychiatry, 14, 26. Linkki viitteeseen
- Stanton MD, & Shadish WR. (1997). Outcome, attrition, and family-couples treatment for drug abuse: a meta-analysis and review of the controlled, comparative studies. Psychol Bulletin, 122, 170-91. Linkki viitteeseen
- Tanner-Smith E., Wilson, S., & Lipsey, M. (2013). The comparative effectiveness of outpatient treatment for adolescent substance abuse: a meta-analysis. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 44, 145-58. Linkki viitteeseen
- Van der Pol, Hoeve, M., Noom., M., Stams, G., Doreleijers, T., Domburgh, L. & Vermeiren, R. (2017). Research Review: The effectiveness of multidimensional family therapy in treating adolescents with multiple behavior problems – a meta-analysis. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry. Linkki viitteeseen